The new Renault MEGANE which features a dynamic, carefully-honed stance and comes with a unique pack of technologies more usually associated with the next segment up. Its on-road performance counts among the very best in its class, while the selection of available engines covers the needs of all types of customer.
Dynamic, carefully-honed lines
Balanced proportions and distinctive lighting signatures.
The new MÉGANE’s proportions are even more balanced than those of the generation it replaces. The result is a more dynamic and more assertive poise:
- longer: 4,359mm (+64mm),
- lower: 1,447mm (-25mm),
- wider front and rear track, the widest in the new MÉGANE’s segment – front: 1,591mm (+47mm) / rear: 1,586mm (+39mm),
- longer wheelbase: 2,669mm (+28mm),
- shorter rear overhang: 771mm (-21mm), a range of wheel sizes up to 18 inches.
The new MÉGANE’s broad, sculpted shoulders express the sensuality that is inherent in the Renault brand’s styling identity. The lower part of the body and the bonnet feature taut, precise lines which converge towards the front of the car to highlight its dynamic stance.
The clearance between the tyres and bodywork (wheel arch gap) has been reduced and heightens the impression of quality exuded by the new MÉGANE. Revised front suspension geometry and more angled dampers have reduced the gap by between 25 and 30mm.
The new MÉGANE boasts distinctive front and rear lighting signatures which are illuminated day and night:
- The front C-shaped lighting signature features LED 3D-effect light guides. High-end versions of the new MÉGANE are equipped with full LED head lights complete with automatic main/dipped beams (LED Pure Vision technology)
- The permanently-lit rear LED lights form a unique horizontal 3D-effect signature featuring Edge Light technology. The slender brush stroke-like lines emit a deep red light.
A carefully-appointed ‘cockpit’-feel cabin, with sculpted, enveloping seats
The cabin exudes an unmistakable ‘cockpit’ feel which pampers drivers thanks to features such as a colour head-up display, a configurable colour 7-inch TFT data display, a portrait-format 8.7-inch multimedia tablet, R-LINK 2 and a centre console. Travelling comfort is further enhanced by the careful attention that has been paid to the interior finish, to the quality of the soft-to-the-touch materials which are within easy reach of the driver and passenger, from the plush foam-backed covering selected for the dashboard, upper door panels, door inserts and armrests, to elegant chrome detailing and the full-grain Nappa leather-trimmed steering wheel, etc.
The new MÉGANE GT-Line, a sportier design for the new MÉGANE
The new MÉGANE GT-Line combines sporty exterior styling with an interior design pack that is available for certain versions of the new MÉGANE.
The new MÉGANE GT-Line comes with a specific, sportier front bumper. The wider air intake is flanked by lateral scoops. It features a specific honeycomb-pattern mesh for the lower grille, while the upper grille is the same as that of the new MÉGANE. The GT-Line version also comes with an elliptical chrome exhaust tail pipe and a profiled diffuser which contributes to its dynamic stance. There is GT-Line badging on the front wings and at the rear.
Dark Metal 17-inch wheels are available, while the new MÉGANE’s 18-inch rims are optional. The door mirror housings, diffuser and front lateral air intakes are also finished in Dark Metal.
The new MÉGANE GT-Line’s cabin is chic and sporty. The comfortable enveloping seats provide additional lateral support and come with integrated head rests, blue top stitching and a chequered sports logo. Three upholsteries are available: fabric or Alcantara®, with either blue or black stripes. There are hints of blue for the trim strips and top stitching which echo the smart Iron Blue body colour. The dashboard is equipped with the same TFT display as the new MÉGANE, while a specific steering wheel rim affords better grip. The GT-Line badging visible on the front wings is repeated on the dashboard trim strip..
The new MÉGANE is based on Renault’s CMF C/D (Common Module Family) modular architecture and comes with a wide range of features more commonly associated with the next segment up and also seen on the model’s siblings, the new Espace and the Talisman. This comprehensive suite of technologies is unique in the segment and includes a colour head-up display, a dashboard complete with configurable 7-inch colour Thin Film Transistor (TFT) instrument display and two R-LINK 2 multimedia tablet formats (7-inch landscape format, or 8.7-inch portrait format), as well as MULTI-SENSE technology and 4CONTROL.
R-LINK 2 is a control centre that manages the vehicle’s various functions: multimedia, navigation, telephone, radio, MULTI-SENSE, driving aids (ADAS), 4 Control, etc.
A connected driving experience courtesy of the 8.7-inch tablet R-LINK 2
Higher-end versions of the new MÉGANE come with R-LINK 2 complete with an 8.7-inch (22cm) portrait-format display, identical to that available for the new Espace and the Talisman. Unique in the model’s segment, it benefits from a capacitive ‘pinch & zoom’ screen for simplified use, much like that of a smartphone or tablet computer.
R-LINK 2 includes voice recognition for the navigation system, telephone, apps and radio, ensuring easy access to and safe operation of its various functions.
R-LINK 2 offers:
- an intuitive, easy-to-use interface, similar to that of a tablet or smartphone: click-and-drag to move icons, page scrolling, two-finger zoom, etc.
- easy customisation, courtesy of three configurable ‘home’ pages with widgets (icons) and up to six different profiles that allow swift access to pre-selected driving settings and in-car ambience preferences,
- a control centre which enables the activation and deactivation of the majority of the car’s functions, including the driving aids,
- connectivity, with a package that includes a free 12-month subscription to TomTom Traffic (depending on market), access to the R-LINK Store and up-to-date European maps.
A personalised driving experience thanks to MULTI-SENSE technology
Already available for the new Espace and the Talisman, MULTI-SENSE technology allows users to personalise their driving experience by modifying accelerator pedal and engine response, adjusting the speed of the gearshifts performed by the Efficient Dual Clutch (EDC) automatic transmission and controlling the firmness of the steering, the cabin lighting environment and the massage function of the driver’s seat (when fitted).
A MULTI-SENSE button on the centre console provides direct access to these functions via the R-LINK 2 display, as well as to five different predefined driving settings: Neutral, Sport, Comfort, Perso and Eco. In the case of the GT version, an R.S. Drive button replaces the Eco button, providing immediate access to the Sport mode.
Latest driving aid (ADAS) technologies and colour head-up display
More traditionally found in higher-segment vehicles, the retractable colour head-up display contributes to driving comfort and safety by making the driving aids (ADAS) clearer and easier to use. Without the driver needing to take their eyes off the road, the screen displays information like current speed, navigation and driving aid data to ensure a reassuring driving experience.
The new MÉGANE benefits from the very latest driving aid (ADAS) technologies that also equip the new Espace and the Talisman. These driving aids are all accessed and activated via the R-LINK 2 tablet and include the following functions:
- To reassure: Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC); Active Emergency Braking System (AEBS).
- To alert: Lane Departure Warning (LDW); Safe Distance Warning (DW); Overspeed Prevention with Traffic Sign Recognition (OSP with TSR); Blind Spot Warning (BSW).
- To assist: reversing camera; automatic dipped and main beam headlights (AHL); front, rear and side parking sensors; and Easy Park
The new MÉGANE is a vehicle that performs well in every area by dint of its first class handling and a range of engines that cover the needs of all motorists. Significant work has also gone into improving acoustic comfort and vertical damping performance.
Dynamic and comfortable
The comfort delivered by the new MÉGANE has been enhanced thanks to:
- A more ergonomic driving position: all of the vehicle’s functions (see Chapter 2 / Technologies from the next segment up) from the various displays to the centre console are within arm’s reach, making for easier use during everyday motoring. Everything is positioned around the driver in an enveloping L-shaped cockpit configuration. Moreover, shoulder width is amongst the best in the segment (1,441mm in the front / 1,390mm in the rear).
- A focus on the comfort and support provided by the sculpted, enveloping seats, with particular emphasis on the use of dual-density foam.
- Specific work on ensuring the suspension is both safe and effective: the dampers and bump stops have been revised for even greater comfort. Meanwhile, the steering is more precise and responsive through the fact that there are no rubber mountings between the sub-frame and body. The new MÉGANE’s road holding remains outstanding, however, thanks to specific work on the front wishbone bushings.
The rear suspension joints have also been revised in order to improve the way irregularities in the road surface are absorbed. The beam has been modified to provide bigger micro-steering movements of the rear wheels when turning in to corners for a more reassuring ride at higher speeds.
4CONTROL, for a new level of driving enjoyment
Thanks to 4CONTROL, drivers of the new MÉGANE GT benefit from a sharper feel with no detriment to comfort. The 4CONTROL system injects added dynamism and precision on tight, twisty roads. The car’s handling feels sharper, more precise and more reassuring and inspires genuine driving pleasure, whatever mode has been selected. In emergency situations, the instant response of the four-wheel steering is quick to put the driver at ease. Moreover, this system provides a high degree of cornering stability at high speeds and easy manoeuvrability at low speeds. It reduces body roll thanks to a specific tubular anti-roll bar and enables the car to really ‘stick to the road’. To ensure optimal stability, the 4CONTROL system calculates and adjusts the steering angle of the rear wheels 100 times every second. 4CONTROL is active whichever driving mode is selected.
The new MÉGANE GT offers a choice of four driving settings (Sport, Neutral, Comfort and Perso) calibrated to meet the needs of different drivers at different moments.
With 4CONTROL, at speeds of less than 80kph in the Sport mode and less than 60kph in the other modes, the rear wheels turn in the opposite direction to those at the front. This endows the car with the precise and dynamic handling characteristics of a shorter-wheelbase vehicle. In excess of these speed thresholds, the rear wheels turn in the same direction as those at the front, making the car feel as if it were a longer-wheelbase vehicle from the next segment up and imbuing it with a sense of reassuring stability when cornering.